3830

[3830] ICWC MST AF4T HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, dougaf4t@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] ICWC MST AF4T HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2022 13:55:18 +0000
                    ICWC Medium Speed Test - 0300Z Aug 23

Call: AF4T
Operator(s): AF4T
Station: AF4T

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: EM86ti
Operating Time (hrs): 0.7

------------
  160:
   80:
   40:  24
   20:
   15:
   10:
------------
Total:  24  Mults = 24  Total Score = 576

Club: Tennessee Contest Group

Comments:

(VOICEOVER: The story you are about to read is true.  The names have been
changed to protect the guilty.)
I went off on a tangent for half of the hour.  Two people in a row were
mis-hearing my call in the same way, and suggestive of my keying timing being
off.  I tried tweaking every CW keying setting exposed in N1MM or buried in the
Icom IC-756PROII menu system.  They never did copy me, even with
dot/dash/spacing adjustments closing in on I couldn't copy myself KNOWING what I
was sending.  I was to the point of "I give up, will look at it in the
morning," and backed out my timing changes.  One of the voices in my head
said "call one other station before you pack it in."  I called, he
copied CORRECTLY.  So did the next 19 people that I called.
Probably the whole thing was QRM, QRN, QSB, one-way propagation, or some other
obscure phenomenon.  It's just weird that those two stations (who by the way
were nowhere close to each other and about 120 degrees apart as the rotator
points), and ONLY them, were both hearing "AR4E."  Nothing like a good
techno-mystery
Thanks for contacts & 73!