3830

[3830] NAQP SSB N4VI Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, CHRIS@n4vi.net
Subject: [3830] NAQP SSB N4VI Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2022 18:18:27 +0000
                    North American QSO Party, SSB - August

Call: N4VI
Operator(s): N4VI
Station: N4VI

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: CO
Operating Time (hrs): 9

  160:
   80:
   40:  226    42
   20:   29    20
   15:    4     4
   10:
-------------------
Total:  259    68  Total Score = 17,612

Club:

Team:

Comments:

An interesting adventure.

Wednesday, during CWT, I determined that my old TS-870S, which I use for ssb
contesting, released the VOX whenever it got around to it. Not an ideal
situation.

I was left with using my Icom 746 w/2.4KHz SSB filter for the test. I've never
used it on phone but thankfully did have the proper Heil mic adaptor. I do have
a 1.8KHz Inrad SSB filter but was unable to get it installed in time (not a plug
 & play situation). Thanks to Scott, W4PA for providing me with instructions
just couldn't complete the task in time.

My 20m antenna experiment was pretty much a failure, which led me to 40m early.
My initial experience on 40m were not much better than 20m. After a break,
dinner and a few innings of baseball I came back down at 01:15z and S&P'd
and piddled around until 03:49z when I had worked about everyone calling CQ that
I could hear. Decided that calling CQ might not be a bad idea, which led to a
141 QSO run from 0349 to 05:37z. (Not bad for 100w and a dipole at 40'!)

At that time, I did a quick search and pulled the plug. With no voice
"keyer", it was no longer fruitful to keep calling CQ as the rate had
deteriorated significantly.

Also, no 80m antenna... I won't bore you with that story.

Thanks everyone.

73's

Chris/n4vi