3830

[3830] NAQP SSB N4XL Single Op Assisted LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, knason00@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] NAQP SSB N4XL Single Op Assisted LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2022 05:31:28 +0000
                    North American QSO Party, SSB - August

Call: N4XL
Operator(s): N4XL
Station: N4XL

Class: Single Op Assisted LP
QTH: SC
Operating Time (hrs): 9.9
OpMode: SO2R

  160:    7     7
   80:   71    29
   40:  155    42
   20:  349    52
   15:   21    11
   10:    1     1
-------------------
Total:  604   142  Total Score = 85,768

Club: Swamp Fox Contest Group

Team: SFCG Crab-eating Foxes

Comments:

As others noted the bands weren't great. Only one 10 meter ground wave Q. Heard
but couldn't work only two or three others. 15 somewhat open, but 20 much more
productive so didn't spend much time there. Rate meter showed 120/hr for 60
minutes. Pretty good for this little station. Couldn't get many responses on 40
although heard many strong stations. SWR good, but need to check the antenna
out. 80 and 160 noise very bad. Everyone worked hard to pull out stations. Also
have a new S5 noise source when pointing to the east.

Changed name from Ken to Tom to minimize confusion between Ken, K4XL, and
myself. That caused several repeats and probably busted q's will come because of
it. Long term should help the score though.

Station was interesting. Had fought random trips of SO2R system for a year.
Trips would disconnect the antennas at random times, including when
transmitting. Unsure if it was the microHAM or Hamation equipment. Eventually
the Hamation IC8 was sent back for repair due to Windows reporting it was unable
to connect to it via the USB port. Larry provided great service by checking it
out. He didn't find anything wrong, but replaced the USB chip anyway and shipped
it back for free too. Since he didn't find anything wrong I didn't reconnect the
SO2R equipment for two months until this contest. The MK2R+ and repaired IC8
went back into the system and for the first time in almost two years I was able
to do SO2R without problems. Thank you, Larry! Unfortunately, I had also put in
a new operating desk and the configuration generated RFI and had a few odd
problems. Will need to replace a couple RG58 jumpers with double shielded coax,
reroute some wires, and break out the box of ferrite. But I was able to pick up
many q's using the second radio.

Thank you everyone for the q's.

Kevan "Tom", N4XL