3830

[3830] 222Up WW2Y Multi-Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] 222Up WW2Y Multi-Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 09 Aug 2022 22:23:27 +0000
                    ARRL 222 MHz and Up Distance Contest - 2022

Call: WW2Y
Operator(s): N2NC WW2Y
Station: WW2Y

Class: Multi-Op HP
QTH: FN24
Operating Time (hrs): 8

------------
  222:  19
  432:  13
  903:
  1.2:   3
  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
------------
Total:  35  Total Score = 18,966

Club: Mt Airy VHF Radio Club

Team:

Comments:

John and I want to thank you for the contacts and to the ARRL for sponsoring
this event.

We decided to do this contest a week before and John mentioned that his SSB
Electronics 1296MHz transverter needed to be evaluated and powered up from a
thirty year deep slumber. His mangled twenty-five year old DSE 45 element looper
antenna needed a thorough rebuild, since it has been transported and stored
multiple times.

One afternoon, we quickly rebuilt the antenna and with amazement the transverter
fired up without issues. John's goal of making one QSO on 1296 during the
contest is now potentially a reality.

On Friday, we arrived at the FN24 site later than expected due an unexpected
engine plus other safety warning lights emanating from my car's console display
half way to our destination. John suggested going to a local Auto Zone store to
read the error fault code that involved an engine coolant bypass valve. John
concluded it was deemed safe to drive the rest of trip and I was very grateful
for his determination, otherwise I would have probably made a different decision
that could have jeopardized our weekend’s plans.

We began our work early Saturday morning setting up antennas plus two stations
for 222, 432, and 1296MHz that included a couple of expected interruptions along
the way, which resulted in a late conclusion.  Finally, we were QRV on three
bands by 20:06Z. I began to make progress working the usual suspects using
SSB/CW modes on 222 and 432 while John successfully worked his first QSO with
K1TEO on 1296. Then he snagged WZ1V shortly afterwards. We exchanged high fives
and moved on. That evening, John managed to work Dale, AF1T for another triple
bander. All of his contacts were completed on CW and his expectations were
exceedingly met.

The loudest distant stations on 222 and 432 were WZ1V, W9KXI, and W2SZ who had
commanding signals. Our best DX QSOs were WZ1V, FN31 on 1296, N3NGE, FN20 on
432, and WA3EOQ, FM09 on 222 who was easily worked during a strong QSB peak. All
noted above using SSB and CW modes.  Four FT8 QSOs were entered into the log.

We decided to shut down and pack up our gear earlier than expected due to
impending heat and thunderstorms. We departed our site at 11:30am and made back
to Montgomery, NJ by 8:00pm. We stopped at a local watering hole to eat dinner
and have a beer to cool off while sharing observations about the weekend.

73, Peter and John