3830

[3830] NAQP CW N8II Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, N8II@aol.com
Subject: [3830] NAQP CW N8II Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 08 Aug 2022 20:43:33 +0000
                    North American QSO Party, CW - August

Call: N8II
Operator(s): N8II
Station: N8II

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: WV
Operating Time (hrs): 9.1

  160:   44    21
   80:  162    34
   40:  220    42
   20:  245    51
   15:  115    31
   10:   66    18
-------------------
Total:  852   197  Total Score = 167,844

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Team:

Comments:

Well, at least all bands were open well enough to make a decent number of QSO's.
The first 3 hours was everyone SW and W of me running stations like mad and my
only defense was to fatten their logs with my S&P Q's. 15 was open to a a
large chunk of NA during that time, but running was very slow during my few
attempts. At 20Z 20M was not that well occupied as most western NA stations were
on 15 and 10. I doubt if I had ever worked Hawaii on 10M in the August NAQP;
this time I worked 5! The ship righted at 21Z with good runs on 20M, then 10M
the 2nd half of the hour.  I might have missed the improvement on 10 if not for
a move of KP4AA from 20>15>10. But, I knew the competition was hopelessly
ahead by then.

I made 99 Q's at 21Z, 137 at 23Z almost all on 40, and 119 at 02Z mostly on 80.
In order to not keep the XYL up, I quit at 0344Z. The correct strategy would
have been to take off time before 21Z, then operate as much nonstop as possible
until at least 05Z. Actual op time was just shy of 8-1/2 hours. As is often the
case with Es and higher solar flux, the skip zone shortened on all bands around
sunset
with essentially no skip zone on 40. 80 was in very good shape at 01Z and even
160 was okay with much lower than normal seasonal noise levels on all three.
Activity seemed to really increase with the improved condx at 23Z. For the first
time ever I was skunked working my own state!, also no RI Q's!, no QC!, only 1
VT, 1 NS, and 2 NB.

Thanks for the Q's and calls. Except for a few times when the spot chasers
descended, most ops were very well behaved. Hopefully, the mostly western
dominance will not continue during our high SFI years. Congrats to AA3B for an
amazing effort well above most M2's! Congrats also to PVRC'ers KP2M and N4AF for
great scores.

73, Jeff