3830

[3830] 222Up VE3MIS Multi-Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ve3mis.vhf@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] 222Up VE3MIS Multi-Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 07 Aug 2022 21:57:28 +0000
                    ARRL 222 MHz and Up Distance Contest - 2022

Call: VE3MIS
Operator(s): VA3ELE VA3FIP VE3MYO
Station: VE3MIS

Class: Multi-Op HP
QTH: gta
Operating Time (hrs): 24

------------
  222:  18
  432:  31
  903:   3
  1.2:   5
  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:   3
  24G:
------------
Total:  60  Total Score = 27,438

Club: Ontario VHF Association

Team:

Comments:

Out of that 60 is one dupe, but we don't delete, just in case.

This one had a really tough start. When Ancil VA3FIP and I arrived at the
station, we found the 222 roof tripod toppled over with many elements needing
straightening, nothing a set of linesman pliers and hands can't fix, but
definitely we lost a lot of time setting up which could have been used getting
902(thanks Keith VE3EG for the 902 loaner) and 1296 going at the station for the
first time. We already lost a couple hours at the start just getting the roof
work done, then came the inside work.  I brought the Q5 Signal 5band transverter
from home just for this contest and surely enough, that wasn't as smooth as I
had hoped. The USB to RS232 adapter just didn't want to switch bands, we
scrapped that idea to save time and just ran to the amplifier room to switch
bands whenever someone wanted to QSY up hihi. For 10GHz, we used my mobile
setup, just a 17dBi horn with Kuhne MKU10G2 transverter with VHF DESIGNs PLL LO
to replace the old drift X-tal and a 10watt SSPA. The 10GHz system wasn't ideal
pointing East out of the window, but it did net 3 QSOs. The 432 system was the
bread winner again for us with 31QSOs and some decent DX reaching just past
700km.
As much as I hate to use it, there was quite a bit of FT8 in the log, calling CQ
on CW and SSB just didn't seem to net many QSOs and needed constant advertising
on ON4KST. Not a big deal, but if others don't use /cq callsign message , then
many messages don't get noticed.
Other then the rough start, things seemed to work quite well when we weren't
getting blasted by random QRM that literally wiped out the bands at times, the
benefits of having a station in an industrial area. Big props go out to Ancil
for surviving the full 24HRs of the contest, I must be getting soft and needed
to get some sleep at 1am hihi. Zachary was only able to join the fun for a few
hours on Sunday.

Thanks all for the fun contest and catch you all in 10GHz and UP and then the
September VHF.

73 de Peter VA3ELE, Ancil VA3FIP & Zachary VE3MYO