3830

[3830] NAQP CW N2NL Single Op Assisted LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] NAQP CW N2NL Single Op Assisted LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 07 Aug 2022 12:20:17 +0000
                    North American QSO Party, CW - August

Call: N2NL
Operator(s): N2NL
Station: N2NL

Class: Single Op Assisted LP
QTH: Mobile AL
Operating Time (hrs): 10

  160:   20    15
   80:  113    46
   40:  183    57
   20:  341    63
   15:  208    55
   10:  141    39
-------------------
Total: 1006   275  Total Score = 276,650

Club: Alabama Contest Group

Team: ACG Bama Regulars #1

Comments:

IC7610
Dipole and 45ft Spiderbeam fiberglass mast w/ wire for low bands, base loaded
for 80 and 160m.

I have a two element triband wire beam but after much profanity, frustration,
and upsetting my wife I had to come to a realization that the trees have grown
and it will no longer fit between the branches.  So, I was stuck with just a
40ft high fan dipole for 10/15/20 that I put up 30 min before the start but it
worked fine.

Operated SOA to maximize score with a single radio and had fun with the new
category.  Less frustrating than trying to S&P with the sub VFO in between
CQ messages.

Congrats if you heard me on 160m.  With my larger Spiderbeam mast down in
Florida, I used a 45ft base loaded vertical.  Base loading coil was wound at the
last moment with 14 AWG THHN.  My back yard here isn't large enough to fit an
inverted L and high band wires at the same time.

Fortunately all the thunderstorms down my way were over by the start and I had
no forced off times due to weather.  I did have an unplanned break to repair the
vertical base switching configuration when the relays stopped staying latched.
Not sure what the issue is but I used a variable power supply to boost the
voltage to get the relays to stay closed.  Probably something lightning related
from a hit I took earlier this summer.

The CW Sprint will probably be the last contest I do from this QTH as I am in
the process of relocating everything down to my Florida QTH where my wife and I
will be moving once our youngest child graduates HS in two years.  I don't have
antennas for 80/160m up yet so I opted to operate from AL instead.  This
location (in Alabama) has worked out great for me in domestic contests but the
noise floor has never been higher and the power line noise seems to worsen
following every summer thunderstorm season.

73, Dave N2NL