3830

[3830] IOTA N8II SO12Mixed LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, N8II@aol.com
Subject: [3830] IOTA N8II SO12Mixed LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 02 Aug 2022 20:28:49 +0000
                    IOTA Contest - 2022

Call: N8II
Operator(s): N8II
Station: N8II

Class: SO12Mixed LP
QTH: WV
Operating Time (hrs): 9.9

   80:
   40:   44      23       17      13
   20:  127      45       97      32
   15:   28      14       10       6
   10:
Total:  199      82      124      51  Total Score = 418,551

Club:

Comments:

I think I made 4 Russian Q's, points deducted from score above.

Until about 1845Z it was painfully slow, nothing I could do would generate many
Q's or mults. 15M was "marginal at best" to EU with only one signal
over S9, EI7M, who never heard me calling on CW despite peaking as high as
S9+20db; there may have been some cross station interference on his end
(disappeared after about 4 minutes operating). From 1845-2127Z, it was nearly
100% S&P on on 20 and 15 both modes. I just kept trying to work as many
IOTA's as possible with propagation and LP limitations. I tuned 10M briefly a
couple of times, nil IOTA test activity. I didn't hit 100 Q's until 2026Z (was
off nearly 3 hours starting 1532Z, said to myself I had had enough at 1532). But
then through most of the evening it was interesting enough to keep pushing
along. I had some decent but fairly short EU runs on both 20M CW and SSB; SSB
was aided starting 2353Z with Es very short skip to the NE with stations calling
with big signals from as close as PA, NJ, and NYC. I didn't try any runs to the
west (not worth the trade off in IOTA's/mults) until around 0230Z. Condx on 40
were nearly ideal into EU and NA with exceptionally low QRN from storms, but
activity was far lower than previous year's levels. I tried 80M around 02Z
hearing about 3-4 EU stations well on CW, but they were all running pile ups and
too busy to dig me out; no one was running from NA. 20M died to EU around 03Z,
but was back at 04Z (unable to run EU either mode after about 0015Z). I did have
a mostly USA run on 20 SSB at 0230Z.

  No very rare IOTA's were worked as I recall. The British Isles were extremely
well represented on almost all of the IOTA groups off of Great Britain and
Ireland. I worked almost all of the easily accessible UK/EI IOTA's as I recall
except for EU-009 and worked all of the UK countries. The Isle of Wight was very
crowded with IOTA stations for sure. Also of note were 3 different Dominican
Rep. stations active, each worked once. Canadian IOTA operations seemed down
from previous years (they take COVID seriously). Thanks to VL2G for a LP QSO on
20 CW and a 15M Q at 23Z, also caught VL3A late on 20M SP. The only ZL worked
was not really entering the test on 20 SSB. 3D2AG was an easy catch on 20 CW.
JE1LFX was easy to work on 15 CW, surprised the band was open as very quiet
otherwise to Asia. OJ0DX was logged on 20 and 40 both modes; the 40M SSB QSO was
probably my first ever OJ0 on 40 phone.

My final score surprised me as it rapidly increased over the last 3 hours or
so.
I made my #200 QSO exactly at 0000Z and #300 at 0231Z. Thanks for all of the
QSO's. We in NA could do a lot better with more activity outside of EU and not
having to break EU to EU pile ups, Hi!

Thanks for the QSO's and 73, Jeff