Topband: Making the bottom of my tower "disappear"

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Making the bottom of my tower "disappear"
From: tree@kkn.net (Tree)
Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2002 11:23:27 -0700
Been working on getting the 160 meter antenna situation figured out before
the WX gets too bad.  I have decided on using my 105 foot tower that has
a 3 element 40 on the top (and some other antennas on the way up and a
six meter beam at 115 feet).

I tried using a reverse feed on it briefly last year and it seemed to work
fairly well.  This year, I am doing it "right" and trying to use the trap
method shown in the ON4UN book to keep current from coming down below the
feedpoint (which is up around 40 feet).

I ran a piece of 12 guage wire out about 18" from the tower down to the
ground.  I made a current meter out of some ferrite - a few turns on the
secondary and a 150 Ohm resistor.  Used a scope to read the level.

I had a 1000 pf variable cap.  I saw a big peak in the current between the
CAP and tower around 300 pf and then it just kind of goes down as I keep
increasing the capacitance.  I tried some parallel capacitance, but other
than a general decrease in current as I increased the capacitance, I don't
seem to have a sharp null of any kind.

I was wondering why kind of capacitance values people have used for this
application - and if they were able to produce a null of some kind where
the current went down to about zero.

Tree N6TR