[TenTec] Sell Omni 6+ (Ten-Tec #564)

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Sell Omni 6+ (Ten-Tec #564)
From: Richard Lee <kirkaby@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2010 17:38:10 -0500
I got a K3 and need to sell my former rig. I am the only owner of this fine
transceiver. I have used this 6+ with considerable satisfaction and
enjoyment up until recently when I got the K3. The rig was new in
December, 1998. This is a Model 564, not an Omni 6 'upgraded' to 6+.

The rig is in good shape cosmetically; there is one cosmetic blemish: a
small nick on the front trim strip. (You can see it in the photos I will
send upon request, just below the clock display.) It has never been in a
smoking environment.

Also included is the Ten-Tec 962 power supply and speaker (made to go
with the 6+). This radio does not fold back the input with increasing
SWR. Over-current protection is provided by the power supply, so unless
you are going to go out and get an Airpax breaker (or similar), you
would be well advised to use the Ten-Tec power supply with this rig.
Also included is the hand mic.

The rig has 2.4 kHz first and second IF filters (stock), and optional
filters:
Ten-Tec #288 1.8 kHz, Ten-Tec #217 500 Hz eight-pole 1st IF filter,
InRad #750 400 Hz eight-pole 2nd IF, and Ten-Tec #216 six-pole 500 Hz
filter w/ center frequency designed for RTTY.The first and second IF
filters can be cascaded at your choice.

Also installed is the InRad #764 2.4 kHz roofing filter and filter
board. Installation of this roofing filter and board was a minor matter
(not permanent in nature: no holes drilled, or anything of that nature),
and I have it wired in for full-time operation (precluding FM
operation). Changing the roofing filter for switched-in/ switched-out
operation is a simple matter if you care about HF FM operation.

Note that in addition to AFSK, this rig is capable of true FSK.

Opinion: While I have not owned any of them, I have spent some time
operating the 756 Pro II and 756 Pro III in contests. I like the 6+
better, at least in cw contests (I have not had sufficient experience
with all these rigs in SSB contests to offer an opinion).

I think it is worthwhile going back and looking at the QST articles
summarizing
performance of various high-end transceivers in their lab tests, AND
looking at
Rob Sherwood's table
http://www.sherweng.com/Dayton_2004/...Range_Data.pdf
<http://www.sherweng.com/Dayton_2004/Dynamic_Range_Data.pdf>
and articles. Keep in mind that with the 2.4 kHz roofing filter, the
Omni_6+'s close-in performance (at least beyond the roofing filter's
width) should be better than that shown.

I have the original boxes and packing foam (for the transceiver and
power supply), as well as the original manual (in good shape, NOT
dog-eared). I will throw in the harness for interfacing the 6+ with the
US Interface Navigator (the "Cadillac" of interfaces). The harness sells
new for ~$50; I am going to keep the Navigator.

I will consider an offer of $1400 CASH, including your coming to my QTH
near Albany, NY, and trying out the radio here and taking delivery here.
I am not presently willing to ship the radio.

Thanks for reading and 73,
-Rich, W2EG